Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Prologue


No recipe book could possibly capture the replication of the meals prepared by Bonnie Jean because Bonnie didn’t follow recipes.  She baked her first Turkey when she was just 9 years old and over the years her cooking only got better.  With the exception of a few baked goods such as her famous Homemade Rolls that bestowed us each year at Thanksgiving, Bonnie Jean cooked to her own tune.  She used to say that nothing she made ever tasted the same twice and she was right, every time it got just a little bit better.  Her secret ingredient in everything she every made?  You guessed it, L-O-V-E, Love!  Bonnie Jean made MAGIC in the kitchen and we are fortunate enough to have feasted on the delights she so enjoyed making for each one of us over the years.

Every birthday, from the time I could utter a word, Bonnie would make me my “Dream Dinner”.  Anything in the whole world I wanted, all I had to do was ask.  One of my favorites was the Chicken Fried Steak with boiled Red Potatoes with Green Beans, Cream Gravy, and Fresh Parsley.  I remember how she taught me to mash a potato with my fork with a big slice of cold butter smashed in.  For dessert I usually requested the Angel food cake with Pineapple Whipped Cream and Strawberries.  This year for Christmas I wanted to help to create something for all of the loved ones in my life, something that could be useful, cherished, shared and improved for many years to come.

Though I realize that many of these recipes may not be complete, I have done my best, WITH THE HELP OF OTHERS, to come up with some of the classics she brought into  our lives.  Along the way I have learned many wonderful things, heard many unique stories and even discovered that some of Bonnie’s classics originated from some of her very dear friends.  I have done my best to credit those special “chefs” accordingly.  Bonnie left us with so many wonderful things when she departed this plane of existence.  One of the best things she taught me is this, “Memories are what life is made of".  So enjoy them.  Revel in them.  Share them as they come up.  Cook her favorites meals, smell her favorite smells (by the way, her favorite smell was PEACHES) and pass on her traditions.

If there is anything we can do for our beloved Mama, it is to keep her ALIVE.  Live on “DOING THE DO” and teach your children and your children’s children how we “DO IT”.  I promise you, Bonnie is always with you.  Reach out your hand and feel the fuzzy feeling right there in your palm, there she IS.  I love each and every one of you with my heart and soul.  I pray you and your families are happy and healthy.  Cherish one another in THIS LIFE, THIS is IT folks.”

No comments:

Post a Comment